Call us: 0300 303 4321
Castle Douglas Annan CAB Stranraer CAB Dumfries CAB (Headquarters)
Complaints Email & Web Based Advice Research & Monitoring Pension Wise When you get advice from a debt adviser When you get advice from an adviser General Subject Access Request Remember Us in Your Will Give Equipment or Professional Skills Give as you Live How to Donate Why Donate? Volunteering Video Pension Wise Newsletter Meet Janice- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Colin – Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Robert-Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Derek- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Kirsten- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Stacey- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet our Volunteers Kinship Care Contact us Eu Citizen feeling in the dark about Brexit? Helpline & Webchat Phone and email advice Request a home visit Book an appointment Drop-in Health Latest Volunteer Fundraise for us Donate Other Ways to Help Us Referrals Who we help Ways to get help Get Help Family Immigration Housing and Homelessness Law and Courts Work Debt and Money Consumer Rights Benefits Advice Subject Access Request Form Locations Who Funds Us Board of Directors Privacy & Cookie Policy What We Do Who we are Home
Press Release – D&G CAS Get Muddy! Scam Alert War on Ukraine – UK and Scottish Government information Bright Deal Project Debt Happens, You’re Not Alone Press Release – Energy Crisis Annual Report 2020-21 Communications Strategy 2022 Volunteer Strategy 2022 Doubling the Scottish Child Payment Adult Disability Payment Big Energy Winter Press Release Press Release – Support4Life Project Help with Smoke & Heat Alarms Carers Allowance Supplement Increase Warm Home Discount Scheme £20 Universal Credit Uplift Best Start Foods Increase DAGCAS Making Debt Advice More Accessible. Changes to Employment Law – Press Release We are looking for volunteers We Have a Newsletter! Job Start Payment Civil Partnership News YES, late night Thursdays are back. Having problems getting your furlough pay? I have been affected by Coronavirus, can I claim benefits? Coronavirus – being furloughed if you can’t work PRESS RELEASE Struggling to pay your household bills? Coronavirus – if you need to be off work to care for someone Coronavirus – getting benefits if you’re self-isolating Annual Report 2019-2020 Updates from Social Security Scotland Check if your redundancy is fair ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING Press Release- End of Furlough Scheme Support Check if you can get a free TV licence Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service Opens Bureaux Are you struggling to pay your rent? Struggling to pay your mortgage? If you’re struggling to pay your bills Help for domestic abuse Kinship Care and Coronavirus What if an employee has more than one job? Can they still be furloughed? Struggling to pay back money you owe? I can’t go to work because I need to look after my child, but my boss is threatening to sack me if I don’t. What should I do? My boss is forcing me to go to work but I’m scared of coronavirus. What should I do? Does your relative/neighbour/friend need advice and help? They don’t have a phone or access to internet? Going to work “Thank you for you help, we are now well on the road to getting my mum some much needed help” Do you think shops are acting unfairly? Support for those at high COVID-19 risk Claim for your employees’ wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme Support for other forms of gender-based violence More Support for women, men, LGBT+ community, Ethnic Minority, Students and non UK citizens affected by domestic abuse… Press Release- 07/04/2020 Are you a young person? Are you worried about your health and well being? Managing money in the current crisis Struggling to pay your energy bills? Advice for businesses If you think shops aren’t acting fairly If you need to take time off to look after your children School closures and key workers Changes to benefits Health advice Caring for you mental health COVID-19 FAQ Furlough Staff Is Coronavirus impacting your life? PRESS RELEASE SOUTH OF SCOTLAND MSP COLIN SMYTH PRAISES AMAZING WORK OF LOCAL CITIZENS ADVICE SERVICES AND CALLS FOR MORE PEOPLE TO CONSIDER VOLUNTEERING ARE YOU AN EU CITIZEN AND DO YOU WANT TO STAY IN SCOTLAND? PRESS RELEASE Scottish Gas (British Gas) Prepayment Keys / Cards Eu Citizen feeling in the dark about Brexit? Volunteer For Us Late Applications for EU Citizens Support Scheme Press release
Home | What We Do | Kinship Care
What We Do

Kinship Care

Kinship carers are the thousands of people – grandparents, aunts, uncles and family friends – across Scotland who look after the children of family or friends because their parents are unable to do so.

National Kinship Care Advice Service for Scotland Update for DAGCAS Website

The National Kinship Care Advice Service for Scotland has been provided by Citizens Advice Scotland for a number of years, with DAGCAS delivering specialist advice to kinship carers in south west Scotland and Glasgow.

Earlier this year, the contract for the service went out to tender. A different service provider won this bid. This means that the National Kinship Care Advice Service for Scotland will be delivered under a new partnership between Adoption UK Scotland and the Adoption and Fostering Alliance Scotland from 1st September 2020.

We appreciate that kinship carers will have questions about the service that they can expect to get from DAGCAS in the future. We have listed a few questions and answers below:

I am a kinship carer. Can I still call at my local Bureau for advice?

Yes kinship carers, like anyone else in Dumfries & Galloway, are welcome to contact DAGCAS for advice. We can give advice on issues such as entitlement to benefits, housing matters, debt etc. We will still be able to give advice on some of the simpler queries relating to kinship care.

What will happen if I call at my local Bureau and they are unable to help me?

Adoption UK Scotland will be the Kinship Service provider from 1st September. If your kinship case is complex, then your CAB Adviser will advise you about the service that Adoption UK Scotland provides. You can then chose to contact them directly if you wish.

I’m a kinship carer who does not live in Dumfries & Galloway. Where can I get help and advice?

You can contact your local CAB for advice if there is one in your local authority. If there is no CAB in your area, your local Council may have a Welfare Rights Advice Service who should be able to give you some benefits advice, or signpost you to the most appropriate agency to help you.

Adoption UK Scotland has written a leaflet with information about the service that they will provide from 1st September 2020:

Online Guides & Resources

Citizens Advice provide a wide resource of advice, information and guidance relating to kinship care issues at the following link:

Kinship Care Resources – Citizens Advice Scotland

Ways to get help

Come along to one of our drop-in sessions, we are here to help everyone.

Read more
Phone and email advice

We also provide assistance via telephone and email.

Read more
Request a home visit

Our CAB advisors provide a home visit service for those unable to travel.

Read more
Book an appointment

For further assistance book an appointment with one of our advisors in a DAGCAS office.

Read more
This site uses cookies.
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.