In all, since March 2020, we have dealt with 15556 client contacts with almost 30000 issues. We have helped clients gain £7.6 million; this is money that in all likelihood is being reinvested in our communities. We have also managed a 230% increase in employment issues for clients. WE CAN HELP MANY MORE.  

DAGCAS is complying with government guidance to help contain the spread of COVID-19.  

We are now OPEN for face-to-face appointments and a drop-in service.  However, if you can contact us by telephone or through our website then you should continue to do so. This will be a quicker way of speaking to an adviser.  

We will deliver an essential service that focuses on telephone, webchat and email enquiries.  

For the latest updates on the Covid-19 outbreak and what it means for you, take a look at our advice website.  

For the latest Government Guidance on new stay at home regulations in effect, click here.  

Find out more about Coronavirus by visiting nhs inform.  

You can access our essential services:  

We are extra busy during these challenging times and appreciate your patience. 

💙💛  Thanks for understanding, stay safe and well from everyone from Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice💙💛

Close window
Call us: 0300 303 4321
Newton Stewart Sanquhar Kelloholm North West Resource Centre Midpark Hospital Kirkcudbright Dalbeattie Castle Douglas DGRI Drop-in-Clinic Cancer Information and Support Centre Moffat Langholm Annan CAB Stranraer CAB Dumfries CAB (Headquarters)
Publications Kinship Care UPDATE: CORONAVIRUS Contact us Eu Citizen feeling in the dark about Brexit? Helpline & Webchat Phone and email advice Request a home visit Book an appointment Drop-in Health Latest Volunteer for Us Fundraise for us Donate Get Involved Referrals Who we help Ways to get help Get Help Family Immigration Housing and Homelessness Law and Courts Work Debt and Money Consumer Rights Benefits Advice Subject Access Request Form Locations Who Funds Us Board of Directors Privacy and Cookie Policy What We Do Who we are Home
YES, late night Thursdays are back. Money Talk Team Adviser Vacancy Help to Claim Adviser Vacancy Closed for Easter Long Weekend Having problems getting your furlough pay? I have been affected by Coronavirus, can I claim benefits? Coronavirus – being furloughed if you can’t work PRESS RELEASE Congratulations to Kieran in his new role as a Financial Capability Adviser and Anti-Poverty Adviser. Big Energy Saving Month Campaign 2021 Struggling to pay your household bills? Coronavirus – if you need to be off work to care for someone Coronavirus – getting benefits if you’re self-isolating Service Update SERVICE UPDATE: CORONAVIRUS Festive Period Opening Hours Annual Report 2019-2020 Updates from Social Security Scotland Check if your redundancy is fair ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING Press Release- End of Furlough Scheme Support We don’t want to alarm you Smart Meters and tackling fuel poverty Challenge Poverty Week 2020 Student housing – ending your agreement in halls D&G HandyVan UPDATE: CORONAVIRUS Meet Our new Smart Energy Adviser… Stop getting nuisance calls and texts Free online awareness sessions about the EU Settlement Scheme and the impact of Brexit for EU Citizens. Learn more about Laura Grierson, our Energy Adviser based in Dumfries. Meet Pam our new Energy Adviser based in Stranraer. Say Hello to Fergus, our new Anti Poverty Adviser in Stranraer Meet Simon, our Dumfries Anti Poverty Adviser. Meet Lynne, our new Anti Poverty Advisers based in Annan. Struggling with your energy bills? Check if you can get a free TV licence Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service Opens Bureaux Do you want a refund because of coronavirus? Holiday cancelled due to COVID-19 Are you struggling to pay your rent? Struggling to pay your mortgage? Are you worried about being evicted? If you’re struggling to pay your bills Meet Alistair- Volunteer Solicitor Meet Irina- Volunteer Trainee Generalist Adviser Meet Kirsten- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Derek- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Stacey- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Robert-Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Colin – Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Janice- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Are you worried about working due to COVID-19? Do you need to be off work to care for someone? Help for domestic abuse May Bank Holiday (VE Day) Kinship Care and Coronavirus I’m an Eu Citizen, what does Brexit means for me? What if an employee has more than one job? Can they still be furloughed? Struggling to pay back money you owe? My employer has asked me to return to work after 3 weeks of furlough, do I have to return? I can’t go to work because I need to look after my child, but my boss is threatening to sack me if I don’t. What should I do? My boss is forcing me to go to work but I’m scared of coronavirus. What should I do? My employer has drastically reduced my hours? Can I be furloughed? Does your relative/neighbour/friend need advice and help? They don’t have a phone or access to internet? Going to work “Thank you for you help, we are now well on the road to getting my mum some much needed help” Do you think shops are acting unfairly? Support for those at high COVID-19 risk I am a trades person, can I go into a customer’s house to do emergency work? Claim for your employees’ wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme Support for other forms of gender-based violence More Support for women, men, LGBT+ community, Ethnic Minority, Students and non UK citizens affected by domestic abuse… Press Release- 07/04/2020 Are you a young person? Are you worried about your health and well being? ⚠️ Warning Suspicious Email ⚠️ Managing money in the current crisis Struggling to pay your energy bills? Advice for businesses If you think shops aren’t acting fairly If you’re planning to travel abroad If you need to take time off to look after your children School closures and key workers Changes to benefits If you’re extremely vulnerable because of a medical condition Staying at home Watch out for coronavirus scams Health advice Caring for you mental health COVID-19 FAQ Furlough Staff Easter Break Is Coronavirus impacting your life? PRESS RELEASE SOUTH OF SCOTLAND MSP COLIN SMYTH PRAISES AMAZING WORK OF LOCAL CITIZENS ADVICE SERVICES AND CALLS FOR MORE PEOPLE TO CONSIDER VOLUNTEERING ARE YOU AN EU CITIZEN AND DO YOU WANT TO STAY IN SCOTLAND? PRESS RELEASE Scottish Gas (British Gas) Prepayment Keys / Cards Immediate Care Practitioner Course- Psychological First Aid Training 🎄🎄STEWARTRY FESTIVE SERVICE 🎄🎄 Our Christmas Opening Hours 💸🔌 Changing your energy supplier is easy and can save you money 💡💷💳 Eu Citizen feeling in the dark about Brexit? New Communications and Volunteer Manager for Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service Free Screening of “I, Daniel Blake” Help to Claim and Money Talk Team- Challenging Poverty! Annan Kinship Carers Support Group – New Members Wanted Challenge Poverty Week – Warm Home Discount Advice Session Information for ex-employees of Border Cars Volunteer For Us Susan Completes Generalist Training EU Citizens Support Scheme Glasgow Outreach – Kinship Care New Chief Executive Officer for Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service Debt Awareness Universal Credit Help to Claim Service Press release Best Start Grant UPDATE: COVID-19
Home | News | Student housing – ending your agreement in halls

Student housing – ending your agreement in halls

28th September 2020

Coronavirus – ending your agreement in halls early

You can end your student tenancy agreement in halls or purpose-built student accommodation early, for a reason relating to coronavirus. 

To end the tenancy because of coronavirus, you’ll need to tell your landlord in writing and state the date that you want it to end. This must be a date after the end of the notice period.

You need to give:

If you have a joint tenancy agreement that was entered into before 27 May 2020, the 7 days’ notice period will apply if one of the tenants lived in the property before that date. If joint tenants want to end their joint tenancy in halls due to coronavirus, notice must be given by all those tenants.

Get advice from us, call our freephone number 0300 303 4321 or email us by filling in our online enquiry form.

You can find more information about students and coronavirus on the Student Information Scotland website.

Coronavirus – guidance on returning home

The Scottish Government has published guidance for students about the current rules on returning home. You can contact your college, university or student accommodation provider to discuss the support that is available to you.

You should be aware that when you enter halls of residence or any other rental property owned by the educational institution you are entering into a legal contract. This should be clear when you sign a tenancy or occupancy agreement.

You may be given a list of private landlords by the student accommodation agency of your educational institution. If you rent from a private landlord the rules about the agreement you make are different and you have many more rights as a tenant of a private landlord. Find out more about renting from a private landlord.

The rules on ending an agreement for halls of residence will be covered in your occupancy agreement. This is a binding contract which means you have to comply with the terms you have agreed to. This page highlights the issues about the agreement most relevant to students in halls of residence and other property owned by the educational institution.

If you have a fixed term agreement

Most students in halls of residence will have a fixed term agreement. This means that you have agreed to rent your accommodation for a certain period of time. In most cases the fixed term will be the academic year. This is likely to include three separate terms.

In halls of residence, you generally have to move out on the day that the fixed term agreement runs out without having to give notice to your landlord. This is because the agreement between you and your landlord ends when the fixed term ends.

Leaving your belongings in your room between academic terms

You should check your agreement for the rules about leaving your belongings in your room. In some halls of residence your room will be free for you to use for the whole period of the fixed term. In other halls the educational institution may have rules about emptying the room so that it can be properly cleaned, rented to someone else for a short period, for example for a conference in between terms. There may be storage space for you to use for larger items rather than having to take them home for the holiday periods. Check what insurance cover there is for this temporary storage.

If you want to leave halls before the end of the contract

If you want to move out of halls before the end of the contract you can end the agreement by giving the accommodation service written notice but you are likely to still be liable for the rent for the rest of the academic term.

If you leave before the end of the contract, without your landlord being informed, you are liable to pay the rent until the fixed term ends even if you aren’t living there.

You should speak to your landlord if you need to move out before the end of the contract. If you give the landlord reasonable warning you should be able to negotiate some reduction on the rent for the full fixed-term period. Check your agreement. It may be the case that your room can be re-let within the fixed term period once you have left.

You can end your agreement in halls early if you can’t live there due to coronavirus.

Getting your deposit back

If you paid a deposit at the beginning of, or before, your time in halls of residence, it should be clear what rules apply to getting it back.

In some universities the initial prepayment is deducted from the total rent due or rent instalment due. This may be called a ‘holding deposit’. In others it is treated as a security payment usually called a ‘deposit’. It is legal for your landlord to ask for this payment as the type of tenancy you have is not protected from charges such as deposits. It could be one of two tenancies which are a common law tenant or common law occupier.

Check what happens to your ‘holding deposit’ if you take up the accommodation. If it is not deducted from your rent your landlord should register this money with a tenancy deposit scheme within 30 working days of the start of your tenancy.

If you’re having problems getting a deposit or pre-payment back you should speak to your accommodation manager in the first instance.

If you don’t think that the problem has been resolved then you can make a complaint to the accommodation service.

Landlord wants you to leave

As a student in halls of residence you are usually a common law occupier or common law tenant under housing law. A common law occupier or tenant has limited rights but you cannot be forced to leave without prior notice and a court order from the landlord. The tenancy or occupancy agreement should provide the details about any notice period that the landlord has to give you. If your agreement is for a year or more you will need to give at least 40 days written notice that you want to leave the property.

If you are being asked to leave because you have broken a condition of your tenancy agreement, for example, because of your behaviour, you should be given a written notification of this at least 4 weeks before the landlord wants you to move out.

If you refuse to leave the accommodation the educational institution will have to go to court to ask for a court order to evict you. If you don’t agree that you have broken a condition in the tenancy agreement you can defend yourself in court. You may want some help to do this. You should approach the student counselling or support service in the first instance or you could get advice from Shelter Scotland.

Can’t find the answer to your question? Call our freephone number 0300 303 4321 or email us by filling in our online enquiry form.

Back to News
This site uses cookies.
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.