Call us: 0300 303 4321
Castle Douglas Annan CAB Stranraer CAB Dumfries CAB (Headquarters)
Complaints Email & Web Based Advice Research & Monitoring Pension Wise When you get advice from a debt adviser When you get advice from an adviser General Subject Access Request Remember Us in Your Will Give Equipment or Professional Skills Give as you Live How to Donate Why Donate? Volunteering Video Pension Wise Newsletter Meet Janice- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Colin – Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Robert-Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Derek- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Kirsten- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Stacey- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet our Volunteers Kinship Care Contact us Eu Citizen feeling in the dark about Brexit? Helpline & Webchat Phone and email advice Request a home visit Book an appointment Drop-in Health Latest Volunteer Fundraise for us Donate Other Ways to Help Us Referrals Who we help Ways to get help Get Help Family Immigration Housing and Homelessness Law and Courts Work Debt and Money Consumer Rights Benefits Advice Subject Access Request Form Locations Who Funds Us Board of Directors Privacy & Cookie Policy What We Do Who we are Home
EGM 8/6/22 Press Release – D&G CAS Get Muddy! Scam Alert War on Ukraine – UK and Scottish Government information Bright Deal Project Debt Happens, You’re Not Alone Press Release – Energy Crisis Annual Report 2020-21 Communications Strategy 2022 Volunteer Strategy 2022 Doubling the Scottish Child Payment Adult Disability Payment Big Energy Winter Press Release Press Release – Support4Life Project Help with Smoke & Heat Alarms Carers Allowance Supplement Increase Warm Home Discount Scheme £20 Universal Credit Uplift Best Start Foods Increase DAGCAS Making Debt Advice More Accessible. Changes to Employment Law – Press Release We are looking for volunteers We Have a Newsletter! Job Start Payment Civil Partnership News YES, late night Thursdays are back. Having problems getting your furlough pay? I have been affected by Coronavirus, can I claim benefits? Coronavirus – being furloughed if you can’t work PRESS RELEASE Struggling to pay your household bills? Coronavirus – if you need to be off work to care for someone Coronavirus – getting benefits if you’re self-isolating Annual Report 2019-2020 Updates from Social Security Scotland Check if your redundancy is fair ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING Press Release- End of Furlough Scheme Support Check if you can get a free TV licence Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service Opens Bureaux Are you struggling to pay your rent? Struggling to pay your mortgage? If you’re struggling to pay your bills Help for domestic abuse Kinship Care and Coronavirus What if an employee has more than one job? Can they still be furloughed? Struggling to pay back money you owe? I can’t go to work because I need to look after my child, but my boss is threatening to sack me if I don’t. What should I do? My boss is forcing me to go to work but I’m scared of coronavirus. What should I do? Does your relative/neighbour/friend need advice and help? They don’t have a phone or access to internet? Going to work “Thank you for you help, we are now well on the road to getting my mum some much needed help” Do you think shops are acting unfairly? Support for those at high COVID-19 risk Claim for your employees’ wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme Support for other forms of gender-based violence More Support for women, men, LGBT+ community, Ethnic Minority, Students and non UK citizens affected by domestic abuse… Press Release- 07/04/2020 Are you a young person? Are you worried about your health and well being? Managing money in the current crisis Struggling to pay your energy bills? Advice for businesses If you think shops aren’t acting fairly If you need to take time off to look after your children School closures and key workers Changes to benefits Health advice Caring for you mental health COVID-19 FAQ Furlough Staff Is Coronavirus impacting your life? PRESS RELEASE SOUTH OF SCOTLAND MSP COLIN SMYTH PRAISES AMAZING WORK OF LOCAL CITIZENS ADVICE SERVICES AND CALLS FOR MORE PEOPLE TO CONSIDER VOLUNTEERING ARE YOU AN EU CITIZEN AND DO YOU WANT TO STAY IN SCOTLAND? PRESS RELEASE Scottish Gas (British Gas) Prepayment Keys / Cards Eu Citizen feeling in the dark about Brexit? Volunteer For Us Late Applications for EU Citizens Support Scheme Press release
Home | COVID-19 | Having problems getting your furlough pay?

Having problems getting your furlough pay?

18th February 2021

There are things you can do if you:

It’s a good idea to talk to your employer first to see if you can sort the problem together.

If you’re not happy with what they say or you can’t contact them, you can tell your employer about the problem in a more formal way – called ‘raising a grievance’.

You can also start a process called ‘early conciliation’ if the grievance doesn’t work. This is a way of resolving disputes with your employer through Acas, an independent organisation.

If you haven’t been paid your furlough pay

Your employer should pay you on the same day you’re usually paid.

If your employer says they haven’t had the money from HMRC yet, ask when they applied to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. It should take around 6 working days for HMRC to give the money to your employer after they apply.

If you think you should have been paid by now, ask your employer when they expect to pay you.

You can raise a grievance if:

If you think you’ve been paid the wrong amount

Tell your employer if you think they’ve paid you the wrong amount of furlough pay.

You can check our advice on how much furlough pay you should get.

If they say there’s been a mistake, they still need to give you the right amount. They have to do this even if they say they can’t claim the extra money from HMRC.

Ask them to pay you the extra amount you’re owed straight away – you shouldn’t have to wait until your next pay day.

You can raise a grievance if they say they’ve paid you the right amount, but you don’t agree.

If you work for a nursery

Your employer might not be able to claim the full amount from HMRC but they still have to give you 80% of your gross pay. 

You can raise a grievance if they don’t give you the right amount.

Raising a grievance

Follow your employer’s grievance process if they have one – you can still raise a grievance if they don’t.

The first step is to write to them explaining the problem. It’s best to do this in an email. Send it to an email address you know someone is checking.

There are things you should say, depending on what your problem is. You can also check our advice on what to put in a grievance.

If you haven’t been paid

Ask your employer to tell you in writing:

You should ask them to respond to your grievance and pay you within 7 days.

If you’ve been paid the wrong amount

Tell your employer how much you think you should have been paid. If you need help working this out, contact us.

You should also ask your employer to tell you in writing:

You should ask them to respond to your grievance and pay you correctly within 7 days.

Your employer’s grievance process might involve meeting in person to talk about the problem. Tell them if you don’t want to do this because of coronavirus.

If your grievance doesn’t work

You can start a process called ‘early conciliation’ through Acas – an independent organisation that helps sort out employment disputes. 

The quickest way to start is to fill in the early conciliation form on the Acas website. Or you can call the Acas early conciliation team on 0300 123 1122.

You’ll need to fill in the early conciliation form within 3 months minus 1 day of either:

Early conciliation can last up to 1 month, but it might be quicker than that. If early conciliation doesn’t work, you can go to an employment tribunal. You have 1 month after early conciliation ends to go to a tribunal.

Check our advice on using early conciliation – this includes what will happen if you decide to go to a tribunal afterwards.

If you need money now

You can:

If you think your employer is keeping your furlough pay 

If your employer has had money from HMRC for your furlough pay, they have to give it to you. If they don’t, they might be breaking the law – for example, it could be fraud.

If you think your employer is keeping your furlough pay, you can report them to HMRC. You should still try to get the money you’re owed by talking to your employer then raising a grievance if you need to.

You don’t have to give your personal details when you report your employer. If you’re worried about what could happen to you if you report your employer, you can:

You can report an employer to HMRC on GOV.UK. Choose the option to ‘report tax fraud online’.

Back to News
This site uses cookies.
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.