Accessibility Tools
Home | Get Advice | Kinship Care
Get Advice

Kinship Care

Kinship carers are the thousands of people – grandparents, aunts, uncles and family friends – across Scotland who look after the children of family or friends because their parents are unable to do so.

National Kinship Care Advice Service for Scotland Update for DAGCAS Website

The National Kinship Care Advice Service for Scotland has been provided by Citizens Advice Scotland for a number of years, with DAGCAS delivering specialist advice to kinship carers in south west Scotland and Glasgow.

Earlier this year, the contract for the service went out to tender. A different service provider won this bid. This means that the National Kinship Care Advice Service for Scotland will be delivered under a new partnership between Adoption UK Scotland and the Adoption and Fostering Alliance Scotland from 1st September 2020.

We appreciate that kinship carers will have questions about the service that they can expect to get from DAGCAS in the future. We have listed a few questions and answers below:

I am a kinship carer. Can I still call at my local Bureau for advice?

Yes kinship carers, like anyone else in Dumfries & Galloway, are welcome to contact DAGCAS for advice. We can give advice on issues such as entitlement to benefits, housing matters, debt etc. We will still be able to give advice on some of the simpler queries relating to kinship care.

What will happen if I call at my local Bureau and they are unable to help me?

Adoption UK Scotland will be the Kinship Service provider from 1st September. If your kinship case is complex, then your CAB Adviser will advise you about the service that Adoption UK Scotland provides. You can then chose to contact them directly if you wish.

I’m a kinship carer who does not live in Dumfries & Galloway. Where can I get help and advice?

You can contact your local CAB for advice if there is one in your local authority. If there is no CAB in your area, your local Council may have a Welfare Rights Advice Service who should be able to give you some benefits advice, or signpost you to the most appropriate agency to help you.

Adoption UK Scotland has written a leaflet with information about the service that they will provide from 1st September 2020:

Online Guides & Resources

Citizens Advice provide a wide resource of advice, information and guidance relating to kinship care issues at the following link:

Kinship Care Resources – Citizens Advice Scotland

Ways to get help
This site uses cookies.
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.