Call us: 0300 303 4321
Castle Douglas Annan CAB Stranraer CAB Dumfries CAB (Headquarters)
Complaints Email & Web Based Advice Research & Monitoring Pension Wise When you get advice from a debt adviser When you get advice from an adviser General Subject Access Request Remember Us in Your Will Give Equipment or Professional Skills Give as you Live How to Donate Why Donate? Volunteering Video Pension Wise Newsletter Meet Janice- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Colin – Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Robert-Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Derek- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Kirsten- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet Stacey- Volunteer Generalist Adviser Meet our Volunteers Kinship Care Contact us Eu Citizen feeling in the dark about Brexit? Helpline & Webchat Phone and email advice Request a home visit Book an appointment Drop-in Health Latest Volunteer Fundraise for us Donate Other Ways to Help Us Referrals Who we help Ways to get help Get Help Family Immigration Housing and Homelessness Law and Courts Work Debt and Money Consumer Rights Benefits Advice Subject Access Request Form Locations Who Funds Us Board of Directors Privacy & Cookie Policy What We Do Who we are Home
EGM 8/6/22 Press Release – D&G CAS Get Muddy! Scam Alert War on Ukraine – UK and Scottish Government information Bright Deal Project Debt Happens, You’re Not Alone Press Release – Energy Crisis Annual Report 2020-21 Communications Strategy 2022 Volunteer Strategy 2022 Doubling the Scottish Child Payment Adult Disability Payment Big Energy Winter Press Release Press Release – Support4Life Project Help with Smoke & Heat Alarms Carers Allowance Supplement Increase Warm Home Discount Scheme £20 Universal Credit Uplift Best Start Foods Increase DAGCAS Making Debt Advice More Accessible. Changes to Employment Law – Press Release We are looking for volunteers We Have a Newsletter! Job Start Payment Civil Partnership News YES, late night Thursdays are back. Having problems getting your furlough pay? I have been affected by Coronavirus, can I claim benefits? Coronavirus – being furloughed if you can’t work PRESS RELEASE Struggling to pay your household bills? Coronavirus – if you need to be off work to care for someone Coronavirus – getting benefits if you’re self-isolating Annual Report 2019-2020 Updates from Social Security Scotland Check if your redundancy is fair ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING Press Release- End of Furlough Scheme Support Check if you can get a free TV licence Dumfries and Galloway Citizens Advice Service Opens Bureaux Are you struggling to pay your rent? Struggling to pay your mortgage? If you’re struggling to pay your bills Help for domestic abuse Kinship Care and Coronavirus What if an employee has more than one job? Can they still be furloughed? Struggling to pay back money you owe? I can’t go to work because I need to look after my child, but my boss is threatening to sack me if I don’t. What should I do? My boss is forcing me to go to work but I’m scared of coronavirus. What should I do? Does your relative/neighbour/friend need advice and help? They don’t have a phone or access to internet? Going to work “Thank you for you help, we are now well on the road to getting my mum some much needed help” Do you think shops are acting unfairly? Support for those at high COVID-19 risk Claim for your employees’ wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme Support for other forms of gender-based violence More Support for women, men, LGBT+ community, Ethnic Minority, Students and non UK citizens affected by domestic abuse… Press Release- 07/04/2020 Are you a young person? Are you worried about your health and well being? Managing money in the current crisis Struggling to pay your energy bills? Advice for businesses If you think shops aren’t acting fairly If you need to take time off to look after your children School closures and key workers Changes to benefits Health advice Caring for you mental health COVID-19 FAQ Furlough Staff Is Coronavirus impacting your life? PRESS RELEASE SOUTH OF SCOTLAND MSP COLIN SMYTH PRAISES AMAZING WORK OF LOCAL CITIZENS ADVICE SERVICES AND CALLS FOR MORE PEOPLE TO CONSIDER VOLUNTEERING ARE YOU AN EU CITIZEN AND DO YOU WANT TO STAY IN SCOTLAND? PRESS RELEASE Scottish Gas (British Gas) Prepayment Keys / Cards Eu Citizen feeling in the dark about Brexit? Volunteer For Us Late Applications for EU Citizens Support Scheme Press release
Home | COVID-19 | Coronavirus – getting benefits if you’re self-isolating

Coronavirus – getting benefits if you’re self-isolating

13th January 2021

If you can’t work because you’re self-isolating, you might be able to get:

You can’t get SSP and ESA at the same time. It’s usually best to get SSP if you can.

You can get a self-isolation support grant at the same time as SSP or ESA.

If you’re a social care worker in Scotland, you might be able to get your normal pay if you’re self-isolating.

If you’re self-employed

You might also be able to claim money from the government’s Self-employment Income Support Scheme.

You can check what help you can get if you’re self-employed.

If you’re returning to the UK from abroad

You might need to self-isolate – this is also called ‘quarantine’.

You can’t get SSP for being in quarantine. You might be able to get it for other reasons – for example if you have symptoms of coronavirus.

If you’re employed, talk to your employer about what you can do while you’re in quarantine – ask them if you can:

If you’re a social care worker

If you’re a social care worker and you’re self-isolating, you might be able to keep getting your normal pay.

You’re a social care worker if you work in the social care sector. For example, you work in:

You’ll only get your normal pay if you’re self-isolating because you have coronavirus or you’re following public health guidance. For example, you’re self-isolating because you’ve been in close contact with someone who has coronavirus.

Ask your employer to keep paying you your normal pay. They should apply to the Scottish Government’s Social Care Staff Support Fund to get the money back. 

Find out more about the Social Care Staff Support Fund.

Check if you can get a self-isolation support grant

You might be able to get a single payment of £500 from your local council if you’re employed or self-employed and you can’t work from home.

To get the grant you must be self-isolating at home because either:

You might also be able to get the grant if you can’t work and will lose income because you’re looking after a child who has been asked to self-isolate. Check your options if you need to change how you work to care for someone.

You can’t get the grant just because you have to quarantine when you enter the UK from abroad.

You should be able to get the payment if you get at least one of these benefits:

If you’re not getting any of the benefits, you could still get the payment if your council thinks you would be eligible for Universal Credit or if you’re struggling with your living costs because you can’t work.

You might also be able to get the grant if you’re on a low income and your immigration status means you have no recourse to public funds.

You can find out more and apply on your local council’s website. 

Councils will also phone people who are self-isolating to see if they need a grant or help applying.

Check if you can get SSP

You might get statutory sick pay (SSP) if you’re following government guidance to self-isolate.

You could get SSP if:

You can read the government guidance about self-isolating on NHS inform.

Check if you can get ESA

You might be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you’re self-isolating because of coronavirus. For example, you might be self-isolating because you or someone you live with:

If you can get ESA, you’ll be paid from the first day you were sick or self-isolating.

You can check if you can get ESA

You might also be able to get Universal Credit if you’re on a low income or not working. Check if you can get Universal Credit.

If you’re already claiming benefits and start claiming Universal Credit, you won’t be able to go back to the benefit you were on before. Talk to an adviser before applying for Universal Credit.

Can’t find the answer to your question? Call our freephone number 0300 303 4321 or email us by filling in our online enquiry form.

Back to News
This site uses cookies.
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.